Monday, September 12, 2011

Rick Warren - The World's Foremost Expert On Humility

Warren Unveils The R.I.C.K. Plan On Humility

Pastor Rick Warren, well-known for creating memorable acrostics to convey his groundbreaking church initiatives like PEACE, SHAPE and CHURCH, has unveiled his latest teaching on Christian humility called the RICK Plan. Says Warren, “As Christians who have received greater spiritual insight than people of other religions, we can easily fall into the trap of acting superior. But Jesus said we need to humbly serve others without concern for our preeminence in the world, and that’s what my new RICK Plan is all about.”

RICK stands for: Remember others first; Imitate Christ; Create opportunities for service; and Keep your ego in check.

Warren believes his new strategy is essential for the success of the Church and plans to implement it throughout his Purpose Driven network until RICK covers the globe. “I’ve come to realize how important humility is, and I want other Christians to understand it, too,” Warren explained. “In fact, just the other day I was telling Bono how I practically created another Pentecost at Saddleback’s last membership drive. All of a sudden the phone rings and it’s a call from the White House. It was Barry wanting some pastoral advice. This is the kind of humbling situation that I hope others can learn to experience someday, too.”

When asked about the critics who charge that his new global humility plan is just a veiled marketing campaign to force his personal agenda on the Church, Warren responded, “Hey, the RICK Plan isn’t about me.”

(article courtesy of Sacred Sandwich)

The saddest thing about this post is that many of the readers will remain unsure as to whether it is satire or real life. Those lines regularly cross over in Rick Warren's universe!

If you haven't heard enough about Rick Warren's humility you can find out more (non-satirical examples) in these previous posts from his sermon at last years Desiring God conference.
Rick Warren's Sermon At Desiring God Part 6
Rick Warren's Sermon At Desiring God Part 13

(Based on subsequent feedback it would seem that too many readers are seriously open to the RICK plan being a real thing. To alleviate your fears the article is courtesy of "Sacred Sandwich" which is a site devoted to satirical pokes at the worst parts of modern seeker sensitive evangelicalism. But I have to say that in the likelihood of Warren not reading this article, the RICK plan would seem only a matter of time!)

10 comments:

Shaun RW Little said...

Haha that was a good morning laugh for me... and honestly brother I'm one of the one's that is unsure if it's satire or real life.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I bought it. No surprises here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7JcU0M58ck

Anonymous said...

forgot to put my name mate, that was me. Send me an update. Nick B

Anonymous said...

"The saddest thing about this post is that many of the readers will remain unsure as to whether it is satire or real life."

No seriously... is that a spoof????

Anonymous said...

"The saddest thing about this post is that many of the readers will remain unsure as to whether it is satire or real life."

Seriously... Is that a spoof??? I realy can't tell... (and no I'm not being sarcastic...

Cameron Buettel said...

Ok guys, the article was courtesy of Sacred Sandwich which is a site that takes satirical pokes at the worst of modern evanjellyfishes. Scary that you are open to the possibility of the RICK plan being true! But I have to say that in the likelihood of Warren not reading this article, the RICK plan would seem only a matter of time!

Check out these previous posts for true examples of Rick Warren's immense humility:

http://onceuponacross.blogspot.com/2011/01/behold-great-humility-of-rick-warren.html

http://onceuponacross.blogspot.com/2011/02/you-need-my-book-rick-warrens-sermon-at.html

Randy said...

Cameron,
I've thought awhile about responding to this one. You are the only discernment blog I follow anymore. The other ones I used to follow ended up posting things I found to be too harsh, critical or downright un-Christian. Rick Warren certainly has many things that need to be revealed and discerned. However, I don't find this kind of post "humorous." It's just in bad taste. Leave such sarcasm to the folks over at Sacred Sandwich. I wasn't very impressed with them. I am impressed with you and your ministry. I come here for truth and discernment, and I love you and what you do enough to keep coming after this. I just hope to not see such things in the future. God bless you and your ministry!

Cameron Buettel said...

Randy, I understand your point and I do try to take it into consideration. However, at times, I have found both satire and sarcasm to be valid vehicles for making a profound point. I can think of many experiential and Scriptural examples of this (Elijah mocking the priests of baal, Jesus telling the Pharisees that those who are well have no need of a doctor, and Paul's assessment of certain false teachers influencing the Corinthian church are just three that immediately spring to mind). My good evangelism friends in Modesto made an excellent biting satire of Rob Bell's "Bullhorn Guy" video called "Bullwhip Guy". It is massive satirical swipe at Rob Bell that clearly addresses a very important theological issue. This article here zeroes in on a major elephant in the room that many pastors just don't notice when it comes to Rick Warren - his continual and obscene boasting (check the links in the post above with regards to Warren's sermon at the 2010 Desiring God conference). I, and others, have written serious articles about this issue at length which have been largely ignored. Sacred Sandwich's approach really hits the nail on the head about one of the many major problems with Rick Warren that he never gets taken to task for. My opinion in this instance, though completely fallible and open to correction, is that this is an entirely appropriate satirical critique of a major part of Rick Warren's MO.

Anonymous said...

I liked the article, but some disagree

Suzie said...

There are actually some modern day preachers out there that God can trust.
Take a look at ctmiworld.com and listen to some sermons from Michel (Miki) Hardy. I think you'll be encouraged to know that there are men of God even in these times, who still preach the Gospel without needing to be trend relevant, use clever or convincing arguments and words, but preach a Christ that confronts and sets free those who listen and hear. We so need a deeper understanding of what h
He did on the Cross, His Grace and the Law that is still so prevalent in all of us.