Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Real Prosperity Gospel

Those who know me or read this blog should know that I'm a pretty transparent guy. Getting a good feel for what I love and what I hate requires almost no hermeneutical skill whatsoever. I love the Gospel, the beautiful glorious Gospel which reveals the stunning kindness of God in saving wretched unworthy sinners like myself through the unspeakable substitutionary death of Christ in the place of sinners, satisfying God's holy wrath that I deserved. Grace is amazing when you understand that God punished Christ as if he had committed my litany of crimes, and I get rewarded as if I lived Christ's flawless holy life. The glorious mystery of how God could grant me pardon without violating His character and nature. These are precious things of infinite value.

On the other hand, I hate the so called "prosperity gospel" that dominates the airwaves of modern "Christian television". Those who make Jesus a means to an end instead of exalting Him as the glorious bottom line of everything in life. The fact that they focus so much time on the material things of this world and the gratification of our flesh only serves to show how little they think of the infinite price Christ paid with His lifes blood in order that sinners could be reconciled to a Holy God. I've had one too many run-ins with this so called "gospel" in recent weeks and I thought it appropriate on the Lord's day to expound the true prosperity gospel.

It is also no secret that I love the preaching ministry of Paul Washer. He is a real man who is not enticed with the empty riches of this world but tirelessly preaches Christ crucified. I can't think of anyone better to illuminate the true biblical prosperity gospel . . .

1 comment:

Cameron Buettel said...

Paul Washer always preaches like a "dead man walking". Probably why he's so compelling!