Monday, September 28, 2009

Crossing Paths With The FBI And A US Marshall - In One Day!!

Most of us watched enough TV as kids to gain at least some sort of fantasy based understanding of the FBI or what it's like to be tracked down by a US Marshall. Yes, I must confess to my own personal guilt of watching too many Tommy Lee Jones movies and having a twisted fascination with alien conspiracies. I'm no dummy - I know how many spaceships they've got impounded in Roswell and I know that a US Marshall is someone who persitently pursues people who are convicted of crimes they never commit . . . or so I thought.

While attending the Deeper Conference at First Baptist Church of Woodstock, Georgia (The church that Johnny Hunt pastors) I had the great fortune of brushing with the law. Two members of the church, Todd and Jeremy, were on the scene to help me with a transport dilemna. They were two of the kindest people I could encounter to help me out - a couple of godly men. Once they had sorted my transport problems we were able to engage in a bit of social chit chat and it was then that I saw their badges! Todd informed me that he was an agent with the Federal Bereau of Investigation (FBI) and Jeremy was a US Marshall. They had plenty of cool stories to tell but there's only one that I will share today. And that is the huge challenge faced by Christian men and women within these organizations to glorify God within their professions.

The pressures come from every side for our brothers and sisters that work within these agencies as well as those serving in the military and police. Life threatening dangers, temptation to compromise integrity, the infringements shift work can make on family life, and being an active member of the local church are all challenges that can conspire against our brothers and sisters within these services. Couple those pressures with the challenge of continually dealing with, and working alongside, unregenerate people who are hostile to Christianity and you've got a dangerous mix of ever-present obstacles to running a strong race and finishing well. So please pray for them and next time you bump into one on the street (regardless of their profession of faith), thank them for the job they do . . . and tell them your praying for them . . . and slip 'em a Gospel tract.

To Todd and Jeremy, thank you for the job you do! It was a real priveledge to meet you. May you both abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

1 comment:

Cameron Buettel said...

I find it to be good policy and an open witnessing door to always thank police and military personnel for the job they do.