Having recently lost my job due to the global economic crisis, I have received some wonderful encouragement from precious brothers and sisters in Christ. One of those e-mails has brought to memory one of the truly great experiences I have ever had of rich blessed Christian fellowship.
I have a group of friends in California who are fellow open air preachers or as Rob Bell disdainfully refers to us - Bullhorn Guys. We all became friends over the internet due to our respective youtube videos exposing Rob Bell as a false teacher. While visiting the US I was contacted by them and invited to come and visit them and their home fellowship.
Now bear in mind the ugly caricature Rob Bell paints of us in his "Bullhorn Guy" video (hopefully you can stomach 2 minutes of Rob Bell without throwing up) . . .
That was just a snapshot of the video. But the open air preacher is portrayed as lacking socially, angry, unloving, and generally the kind of guy no sane person would want to be associated with. Well, my bullhorn brothers posted this satire to expose Rob Bell's cruel agenda . . .
That is a brilliant satire with a profound point. Spending time with these guys rammed home several wonderful realities for those of us in the body of Christ.
1. They preach a hard message but are some of the most genuinely loving and caring people I have ever met.
2. My wife and I were overwhelmed with their continual generosity and kindness towards us.
3. Their home fellowship is a gathering of people who love to glorify God, deeply care about the lost, and are willing to live sacrificially and selflessly in order to pursue the Great Commission.
4. These strangers became true family within minutes of us meeting.
5. They are articulate defenders and apologists of the Christian faith being dedicated students of Scripture.
6. Their willingness to preach about hell, death, judgment, wrath, and repentance reflected honesty, a committment to accurate and faithful Gospel preaching, and true love to lost sinners walking by (rather than avoiding these subjects so people can go to hell without being offended).
7. While I am sure I do not speak for every open air preacher I have found these things to be true with the vast majority of the "Bullhorn Guy Fraternity".
To Rob Bell - shame on you for a cruel, pathetic, cowardly, and scripted portrayal of real men preaching the real Gospel while you hide behind your Nooma camera saying how you want to "talk to the Bullhorn Guy". It seems the only "Bullhorn Guy" you are willing to have a "conversation" with is the straw man you invented. I hope you repent and start preaching the real Gospel yourself.
To my Bullhorn brothers - thank you for your kindness, selflessness, and compassion through my current struggle to financially support my family. You are true brothers and a constant reminder of the joy of being part of the body of believers. Thank you for sacrificially giving of your time, talent, and treasure to take the only true message of good news to a lost and hell bound world. Thank you for loving these people more than the cowardly preachers who conceal the hard truths of Scripture.
Weekend A La Carte (March 24)
6 hours ago