Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Online "Discussion" With Hillsong's Executive Pastor (Part 4)

Troy wrote to me yesterday to tell me:

All these "Christian" blogs seem do is talk down about other Christians. Who would want to be a part of this (Christianity) if the people who are supposed to love and accept one another just bring each other down? Let's remember above everything else we're called to LOVE Jesus and LOVE others. And let's not forget John 13:35.

Well Troy, there was unfinished business in my previous series - particularly in regard to Hillsong's disgraceful practice of removing a part of a Bible verse (the repentance part). Can you honestly tell me that you don't have a problem with that? My correspondence with Joel A'Bell brings more light to this story.

Secondly, this blog is just one area of the sum of my labor. It is in this forum alone that I venture into polemic critiques and discussions. Furthermore, I like to think that this blog contains a good blend of a wide variety of subjects with both positive and negative stories.

Thirdly, there you go trying to play the love card. Scripture defines God's love in Romans 5:8 . . .

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

So if you want to criticize about love then criticize Hillsong for their failure to preach God's love by never talking about sin or the cross (as is ably demonstrated in their CD gospel presentation and the video from my Sep 20 2010 post). Also Troy, if you love God and treasure His word then where is your outrage over Hillsong's willingness to mess with Scripture? I would contend that I am doing this out of love for the truth, a love for God's people who are being deceived, and a love for the true Gospel that God delivered.

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:8-9)

Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. (Romans 16:17)


Troy wrote again after these comments:

I really do care about all those things you're talking about. And I can assure you that I've been to Hillsong quite a few times and have heard the gospel accurately preached. Yes, including the mention of sin and the cross.

I think that you are right to question the "tampering" or scripture. But at the same time, I think you keep harping on something that could very well have been an accident that was overlooked, as Robert Fergusson stated in your post. But for some reason you have chosen to believe that this was intentional. I believe that this was not intentional. Unless you have seen them consistently changing scripture, then I see no reason to believe that they do not preach "the true gospel". Especially when like I said above, I have heard it for myself.

Hillsong Church is doing many incredible things around the world in the name of Jesus and many lives are being changed. This is a fact.


Troy, for months now I have been waiting for one solitary example of a faithful Gospel presentation from anything at Hillsong (video, audio, or written). Nothing has been forthcoming - except for several people trying to reassure me that they do preach the Gospel. I do however have an abundance of examples of them preaching a false gospel so bad even their doctrine statement defines it as heretical. So Troy send me the one example of a faithful Gospel presentation that talks about God's holiness, man's sin, judgment, atonement and resurrection, repentance and faith. I am eagerly awaiting . . .

I welcome anyone willing to send me one example they can find and i promise I will give it a fair hearing. I'm waiting . . .

I did go looking for one of these Gospel presentations (of Joel A'Bell) myself in the last few days but did not find anything. But I did find this video featuring Joel A'Bell (and some other guy later on) which was interesting. Joel may not be responsible for the editing but the video excerpt follows the disturbing trend of deleting unsavory parts of the biblical text. Pay particular attention to the portion of video depicting the story of Jesus and the woman at the well (John 4). Watch that part and see if you can spot which part of the dialogue between Jesus and the woman ended up on the "cutting room floor" . . .



Go On To Part 5
Go Back To Part 3
Go Back To Part 1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The other pastor is Craig Groeschel of lifechurch.tv in the USA.

Craig Groeschel interviewing Joel A'Bell about Hillsong earlier this year. There are four parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2xO-Bv32s8

Anonymous said...

You made a few good points there. I did a search on the subject and almost not found any specific details on other websites, but then great to be here, seriously, thanks.

- Lucas